Monday, March 05, 2007

This Just In

Recent news reports out of Louisiana indicate that SlyD, widely considered to be the frontrunner for the stump-jumping event in the Redneck Olympics, has suffered a fall while training for the upcoming contest. Those present at the scene when the incident occurred report that D seemed to have hit the top of the stump wrong which messed up his landing. D is said to have stumbled over his own feet upon landing and skidded to a stop on the ground after falling. Scraps and scratches were visible on D’s arms and knees and some present report seeing D rubbing the right side of his hip. After getting up from his fall, D was said to have limped away but returned shortly after to continue his training even with an obvious limp. It’s unclear at this time whether or not this will affect D’s performance at the Redneck Olympics this summer.

-- -- -- -- --

Now for the serious part, I received word today that my cousin has been skipping school and is considering dropping out. He’s been sly with it too (does that run in the family?) as he drives his truck to school then somehow leaves campus with his truck still there. Huh. Not sly enough since he got caught…

He’s a senior in high school too… yes, two months left and he wants to drop out! Something has to be going on to have caused this sudden change. The last time I talk with him at Christmas everything seemed to be going fine. I’m thinking someone’s threatening him or he’s failing and afraid of having to repeat the 12th grade.

I’m going to call my aunt tomorrow to see if she thinks me talking to him would help. He always confided in me when I was in high school and saw him everyday. He treated me like a big brother. He trusted me not to tell anyone what he tells me and I’ve kept my end of the deal. I’m hoping that will help and he’ll listen to me better than he does his parents.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if my favorite redneck stump jumper was not just being silly, I seriously hope he is ok and only suffered a bit of redneck embarrassment.

As for your cous', I hope he will hear you or open to you to let you know what is going on. He is apparently so close to quit now.

Mike said...

Isn't it rewarding to mentor the younger generation?

Jack said...

I'm stumped. I hope you're ok.

As for your cousin, don't wait for your aunt. You talk to him.

Brad said...

It would be such a shame for him to quit with only two months to go. If he is indeed failing, maybe he could make up the required course work in summer school.

Beats the hell out of dropping out. I know, because I did.

A Lewis said...

"Stumbled over his own feet"....hum. You have big feet? Hum. You know what they say!
As for your cousin....kick his ass back to the classroom.....my god, there's absolutely NO GOOD REASON he shouldn't stay right there. Come on SlyD, show him how it's done. And, do let me know about those feet.............

A Bear in the Woods said...

Well D, We may just have to let all the other rednecks struggle along without you this year.
You can go for the gold in stump jumping next year.
You'll be an older, wiser stump jumper for waiting.
As for cuz', I reccommend liberal use of a 2x4 across the head, just to get his attention. Then you can reason with him.