Sunday, March 25, 2007

Color Me Impressed

So what I was originally going to post about yesterday (aside from the scaredy-cat post) before having sex on the first call was my visit with the cousin. It was short – I never get to just hang out with him like we used to – but we had enough time to talk. I never flat-out asked him about dropping out, but it appears he’s now determined to finish high school. Plus, he’s been making plans to attend votech after graduating! I was very glad to hear that!! He can do it if he can keep himself motivated, that’s the only problem I see him having. Of course with him having a kid and having to pay child support now, I think he’s finally seeing he’s got to do something with his life.

Aside from school, we talked about his baby’s momma. They’ve officially broken up after being together off-and-on for five years I think. I felt sorry for him but wanted to pat him on the back and congratulate him all at the same time when he told me that. I still remember the first day he told me about her… he was in the seventh grade, I was in the ninth. I don’t mean to be the one that says I told you so, but I warned him about her that day. He may not remember it but I do, like yesterday. He got a little pissy about it then so I kept my mouth shut about her after that. Now he’s having problems with her and her new married cop boyfriend who’s threatened to give the cousin a ticket should they ever meet on the road (a simple phone recording could probably get his ass fired over that). The cousin is taking all of this extremely well and seems to be concerned about the most important thing in all of this – the kid. He asked me several times what I would do if I was in his situation and I had to just tell him I don’t know. I’ve never been in anything even remotely like the situation he’s in so I don’t know what I would do. I wish I could have helped guide him more but I’m afraid I would be guiding him in the wrong direction.

Then, as always, we talked about cars. He can talk big and sound like he knows what he’s talking about but he’s completely clueless. And he’s thinking about being a mechanic!! Honey, do I need to give you some schoolin’? Just name the time hun and I’ll see what I can do. He still wants a GTO too! He couldn’t believe that I had test-driven one before! I’ve got way more constraint behind the wheel than he does though and I’d end up killing myself if I had one of those… he sure doesn’t need one!

I’m very impressed with the cousin! He’s grown up a lot since his daughter was born and he’s finally starting to step up and take responsibility for his own actions. I’m extremely happy to see that he’s already made plans for the future after high school. The thing that makes me the happiest though is seeing how much he cares about his daughter. I don’t tell him this enough but I’m very proud of him for that!

6 comments:

A Lewis said...

Children have a way of balancing and rounding people out. Very glad he's decided to finish school. And really cool that you had a chance to visit with him. I know you've been thinking about it.

Brad said...

Are you talking about the new GTO with the 'Vette engine? Very sweet car!

Sounds like your cousin will find his way. It's good that he has someone like you to help guide him.

SlyD said...

Yep the new one. Crazy fast! I loved it!!

Sorted Lives said...

That is wonderful news. Thanks for the update.

Lemuel said...

I'm glad he has a friend like you.

Ryan said...

finishin school is a good thing yes! i think your cousin will b just fine!