Friday, March 02, 2007

Country Queer

In case you didn't believe me when I said I was country, today I was recruited by my dad to camouflage his recently built deer stand. He handed me two spray cans – one black and the other olive – and points to the already gray deer stand.

Black and olive? Honey, we need more color than that if you want this thing to look good!!

He tells me to paint “trees and limbs on it or something.” I was thinking “or something.” As long as there’s contrasting colors, it would be good he said.

Now let me say I don’t really know the first thing about what deer want to see on a deer stand or about deer hunting in general… well except you get up before the sun rises and get all dressed up in camo (why? you're going to be in the deer stand) only to sit in said deer stand and freeze your ass off while you wait for a deer to walk out and that’s not guaranteed to happen. Not my cup of tea.

One time, my dad thought he could turn me on to hunting (maybe man me up a little?). He found out real quick that my mouth was not well suited for deer hunting – hell, any hunting – as my constant bitching about everything eventually got me kicked out of the stand and headed home on the trail leading out of the woods. He never tried again, but I have had to help find (which in my terms means just wandering around in the woods looking for nothing really but I look like I’m looking for something) multiple deer my dad, brother or uncle have killed and drag them out of the woods.

So back to painting the deer stand – he paints a few examples for me then lets me loose on it. Mistake maybe? Hmm…

I took the cans – one in each hand – and went crazy on the damn thing! I mostly made curving lines on it but threw in a few straight vertical lines just to see how it would look (not very good). I made little touches on it like making sure the lines wrapped around the corner of the deer stand and turning the spray cans at an angle to create a neat feathered look. My dad came around at one point as I was making the final touches on one side and noted it didn’t have to be perfect. Hey, you picked the gay child to do this!! Oh wait, he may not know.

After finishing all four sides and making one last sweep around the whole thing, I stood back and marveled at my work. I thought it looked *fabulous*!! Well as fabulous as a deer stand can look.

And I know you’re dying to see it, so I snapped a few pictures before we loaded it into my (why?) truck. Here ya go…
I see now that I missed a few spots! Oh well, none of the deer will notice… unless they’re gay too! =)

Now if only he wanted the interior decorated...

7 comments:

A Lewis said...

Dude, you are making me go crazy with laughing! I called my hubby, my sister, and her friend over to read the post and look at the pic. We laughed until we couldn't stand it. Take a look at my post from today about my stint with the Easy Bake oven. You'll appreciate it. Hugs

Anonymous said...

"...Honey, we need more color than that if you want this thing to look good!!..."

At that point I was on the floor! I could just see a deer stand in mauve boas and beads.

I can just see the gay deer coming up to the stand and saying, "Gurl, we need an intervention here!"

Actually I think your pattern inspiration had to had been that stainless steel redneck stuff that they make toolboxes for pickups out of. (You can tell how much I am into it. I don't even know the name of the stuff. LOL!)

I loved the post, Sly!

Mike said...

You didn't mention the pee. Aren't you supposed to douse yourself in deer pee when you go a-huntin'?

I've done it for fun, but not for huntin'. ;)

"Tommy" said...

Well .....hmmm......you need a lil more olive in there somewhere.

hugs

tommy

Sorted Lives said...

That was hysterical!! Thanks for the laugh!!

Sidenote: I know MiKell is a hot mess, but I want to why he would douse himself in Deer pee? I'm just saying....

A Bear in the Woods said...

Not your cup of tea? That's because you're not putting enough Southern Comfort in it!

Spider said...

now THAT is one damn fine deer stand!