Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Poem

Ok, this is not like me at all. I love to write things but never have I actually enjoyed or felt like writing a poem. It was always forced on me in grade school and I always hated it! But last night it struck, so here’s the poem I wrote. Maybe this is a new breakthrough in my life! I’ll be a poet… or not. Probably not!

I’m not sure where it came from. My fingers just started typing and this is what they pecked out. So before I start rambling on about something else, here it is. Hope you enjoy it and can make some sense of it!

If Only I Had Known

It starts young,
yes that delicate age.
I didn’t know,
I couldn’t comprehend.

It comes standard within us,
we’re born with it.
It shows its face
and never fully disappears.

It’s an ugly face too,
a face no one dreams.
It sneaks up on me,
I never hear it coming.

Attacking me
but I don’t feel a thing.
Not right away at least
can I sense it.

It tears me apart.
It tears at you too.
It’s only when I look down
do I see the wounds.

They burn
and they sting.
Nothing takes it’s away,
the cuts are too deep.

It seemed so natural.
It came without thought.
Harmless, I said
but now not so much.

So here we are,
broken and dislodged.
Look what it did,
I should have known.

But there’s no turning back,
the damage is done.
Natural it may have seemed,
I did this to myself.

Yes, those cuts,
I made them.
The bruises,
I put them there.

No bandage will
stop the bleeding,
no cloth will
cover the bruises.

I can’t fix it,
no, not by myself.
But I did this to you too,
I made you bleed as well.

So will you forgive me?
Yes that’s what you can do.
And I’ll promise,
I promise never again.

Forgiveness and time.
Yes, that should work.
And a “I promise never”
but only if it’s true.

Ah that’s the cure!
For the cuts to heal,
the bruises to fade.
It just takes time.

But the skin’s still tender,
the scars will always be there.
Because it never goes away,
just leaves for awhile.

But when it comes back,
oh I’ll be ready.
No more playing with fire,
I don’t do that any longer.

I’ve seen it now.
Yes, I looked it in the eyes.
But no more,
I won’t fall for it again.

But this wouldn’t have taken place.
No, it never would have happened.
The pain I put you through,
the pain I felt too

If only I had known before.
Yes, if I had only known
how much it would hurt,
and the scars it would leave.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

wow very deep i think u did 1 awesome job on it. i hope u do more. i might have 2 use this 1 sometime on my blog if u dont mind!

SlyD said...

I don't mind at all. Feel free to use it whenever you want man.

steve'swhirlyworld said...

hmmmm, interesting. I'm curious what provoked it. you're a talented guy "sly d"

john said...

Wow!! I'm going to refer some of my regular readers this way to read this.

A Lewis said...

perfect, wonderful, beautiful! Keep it up, man. You're a natural.