Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Change Of Plans

My original plan to come out to my parents first is getting scrapped. I’m going to go out on a limb and hope I can trust my friends to keep their mouths shut. I just emailed one of my friends to set up a time for us to go out and eat next week. Have a girls’ + one gay’s night out before the spring semester starts!

I just read John’s most recent post over at Open A Window. His first coming out to his cousin inspired me to change my plans. Besides, I’m getting nowhere with coming out to my parents. I’ve got to face reality – it’s not going to happen now, I’m just not ready. So, I think I’ll try for a little practice before I dive in head first without knowing how deep the water is. I’ve got to tell my friends eventually anyway. The best part is I honestly don’t think my friends will care. Hell, they probably already know! They’ve been around me long enough and I’ve opened up enough around them that they’ve probably figured it out by now.

I’ve always heard that the more you come out to people the easier it gets. Maybe I just need some experience before I tell my parents. I was trying to take on something bigger than I could handle by coming out to my parents first. I’ve got to take it slower. Crawl before I walk. Walk before I run. And not try to jump into the deep end before learning how to swim.

On another note, be on the lookout for some new pictures around here, maybe even including a few of the mysterious SlyD himself! Also some time tomorrow I’ll probably try to post something I wrote (as in on paper) early this morning around 3 under the light of only my cell phone while I was lying in bed. I would scan the actual pages and post them, but they’re really sloppy with a lot of stuff marked out and written in. Maybe some other time!

4 comments:

Ryan said...

i know it can b hard ive had friends go thru what u r. u will know when the time is right until then u need an ear im here!

john said...

My family is stongly Roman Catholic. I don't think I will come out to my parents--although I'm thinking they suspect it, but are still in denial.

It was so hard to utter those words in the car with my cousin. And although I think my coming out to him was a cop-out, it was still nerve wracking.

I think it will be hard no matter what. But it sounds like you've got courage and backbone.

steve'swhirlyworld said...

I've been reading your posts for a while - you were linked to John. I felt the need to post a comment. You will find a way through all of this coming out process. It's hard for people who have already gone through it to see those like you and John struggle. We want you to know that you will be okay, but there are no guarantees. You should follow your heart and gut feeling.
As is John's, my family is VERY Catholic - my brother is a Deacon - raised in South Louisiana - Cajun Country (so I can relate to you in that way too...Lafayette).
I can tell you, for me, coming out was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I feel totally honest with those around me, including my family. No more secrets. My entire family is fine with it...no issues.

Again, come out if/when you're ready, on your own time schedule, not others.

A book you might want to consider is called: Now that you know. I gave it to my family to read after I came out to them...they loved it.

Take care buddy.
Steve

SlyD said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment guys! It means a lot to me!

Ryan - Thanks man! You're great!

John - I think my parents suspect I'm gay, too. Both my mom and my dad have asked me on several occasions, but I didn't have the courage to tell them and wasn't even out to myself at the time. I've thought about not telling them, but I just can't do that. I've always been very close to my parents and feel I HAVE to tell them at some point. But we can both get through it! I wish you the very best on your coming out journey.

Steve - I'm a Louisiana yankee! =) Yep, I'm from the northern part of the state. But, my family is Southern Baptist and they've expressed their disapproval of gays in the past. However, I think my mom will be shocked but recover quickly. My dad is the unknown. He's hard to read and predict on things like this. His sister is a lesbian and he never seemed to have much of a problem with her. Of course, that was his sister so it may be different for his own son.
I'll definitely look for that book. I'll see if I can pick it up after I meet one of my friends in town next week (and possibly come out to her!!).