Thursday, November 30, 2006

Leaf Drifting

My dad brought me to class today… in my car. Problem is I left my cell phone in the car when I got out. And, he left with the car to go to a doctor’s appointment. I have no way to call him, and we didn’t make arrangement about where to pick me up after I get out of class (he’s clueless on campus, too – he actually drives the speed limit…). Not sure what I’ll do. I may have to drop in to one of the department offices and ask to use their phone. As for why he rode with me, there’s his doctor’s appointment, plus I have to go get a scratch on my car fixed today. He thinks I can’t do that by myself.

-- -- -- -- --

I went to Target yesterday. I love Target! They scored well on the HRC buying guide, too (not that I use that to base my shopping on – don’t have time to consult a guide when I’m shopping for something – but I just noticed it faired well). I really don’t know what I went in looking for – I just wanted to get away from campus – but I walked out with a couple of shirts and that Pink CD I’ve been wanting for a while now (they finally had it). I looked at some jeans, and I needed to have looked for some shoes, a few long-sleeve shirts (I have almost none), and a watch. I’m going back tomorrow if the weather is okay.

-- -- -- -- --

Most of the leaves on the trees have fallen. Our yard is covered with them. So, you know what that means? Leaf drifting on the four-wheeler!

No matter what kind of mood I’m in, leaf drifting always gets me smiling and laughing. It’s just so much fun! Yes, I look like an idiot riding the four-wheeler laughing at seemingly nothing while I’m sliding all over our yard, but who gives a fuck? I’m having fun! And loads of it! That’s the country boy way of fun. Those city folk are just missing out.

NOTE: If you ever attempt this, make sure four-wheeler is rear wheel drive and not four wheel drive. Four wheel drive will just understeer through the leaves which is no fun (just kind of scary at times). For proper technique, go full throttle into large area covered with leaves and free of any obstacles (unless advanced leaf drifter). Start turning slightly and rear end should start to swing around, tightening your curve. Sometimes, rear end may need a rather quick steering input to break loose. If excessive oversteer exists, steer in the opposite direction of the slide to correct but stay on throttle. Straighten steering with throttle still applied to bring the rear end back in line. During the entire slide, never let off the throttle unless you slide out of leaves and tires regain grip in dirt (in which case, let off throttle and straighten steering). Congratulations! You have just learned to leaf drift.

Now, go try that and come back to tell me how it was. You know you want to. You know it’ll be fun. I can guarantee that.

No comments: