Sunday, February 25, 2007

Major Problems With A Major Change

I don’t understand some people. Why do they frown on college students who change their majors? My aunt and I were talking about this a while back, and I thought about it again after being asked about my major today. It usually goes something like this:

Them: “So how are your classes this semester?”

Me: “They’re all going good so far.”

T: “Well, that’s good. What are you majoring in again?”

M: “Marketing.”

T: (with a different tune in their voice) “You weren't originally going in that though, were you?”

M: “No, I was originally going in physics but I changed to marketing this past semester.”

T: (with a sneer and that look) “Oh.

That look, you know, that disapproving, how-pathetic look. It’s like it’s such a horrible, unspeakable thing to change your major! You’re the scum of the earth now that you’ve changed your major! And this look only comes from people who didn’t go to college. Why? Bitterness because they didn’t go or couldn’t swing it? Or do they think changing your major means failure in that you couldn’t take what you were going in? Do they not realize how common it is for a college student to change their major?

I changed my major because I was over a year behind in physics (bad decisions on what classes to take) and about where I needed to be for marketing. I didn’t change because I couldn’t handle physics. I could have! I’ve always been strong in math and that side of science, and I did great in the classes that I had taken for physics. My interests changed slightly and I got tired of being so far behind.

If anything, the change helped me. I’ll finish a lot sooner, and I didn’t know what the hell I was going to do with a degree in physics anyway! But I think I would get a better reaction from some people if I told them I was dropping out rather than changing my major.

I guess you just gotta shake them hatas off!!
(N would be rolling if she knew I said that!)

PS: No tornadoes for us yesterday. We just had strong winds all day. Unfortunately, some farther north in Louisiana and in Arkansas weren’t so lucky. My thoughts go out to them.

4 comments:

Sorted Lives said...

My parents laughed when I went back for a Masters degree that had NOTHING to do with my Bachelors. They said they could never see me doing what I do. Some ten years later, they couldn't imagine me doing anything else!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you were not caught in the tornadoes. I saw that there were potentials in LA.

As for the major: this is YOUR degree and YOUR life. Do what will makes you happy and productive, not what others think should make you happy and productive.

Those who have some experience can tell you that college students frequently change majors as they explore worlds that they never encountered before and that open up to them as they study - or as they discover that what they thought they liked or wanted to do, they no longer like. There are some colleges that will not permit students to declare majors until their junior year. In some ways that is not a bad policy.

Jack said...

I understand your frustrations.

Depending on the age of your aunt, you have to remember that it was not to long ago, kids were expected to go into the family business. Or be stay at home moms.

They were never given the choice to do what THEY wanted, what they liked and made them happy.

My concern or question to you is, is IT what you want?

Is marketing also something you like doing?

Why did you chose physics in the first place? To be chalenged? The level of work required?

I'm always the devil's advocate. So I'm just checking to make sure you looked at all your options and making sure you are doing something you love, and not just taking the easy way out.

If everything falls into place, I'm happy for you.

Marti said...

Glad you are safe from bad weather.

Nothing wrong with changing your major. It is YOUR major - LOL Do what is right for you, and smile. If others don't understand it is THEIR problem. Be happy and live in the joy of being true to yourself.

Peace be with you!